Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Year I Met the Movies

As I was digging through my old catalogue of movie notes, I noticed something peculiar. The early 80s saw very little well-loved films. One or two titles per year, at most. Then when I saw the list of movies I cherished in 1984, the titles grew exponentially. It was like I went to the movies that year and never looked back.

My first vivid memory of a big-screen movie was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I was 7 and also hearing-impaired, so it's safe to say I didn't quite follow it. But that didn't stop me from loving it. I remember seeing it with Dad and being enamored with what unfolded on the screen. I don't remember what happened afterwards, but apparently, I was awestruck that year. Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid, The NeverEnding Story -- these movies entered my stratosphere and became a huge part of my childhood.

1985 was even bigger. Back to the Future, The Goonies, Remo Williams... I watched these over and over on VHS. I remember renting Back to the Future from the local Easy Video store and watching it back-to-back on a Saturday afternoon. I finished it, rewound it, and watched it all over again without batting an eye. I was hooked. You couldn't keep me away.

My love for movies grew year after year. More great and memorable titles show up as I look back at each passing year. It is with sweet nostalgia as I post some of these notes of the movies I've cherished in the late 80s and early 90s. It's like looking back at an era that is long gone.

Walt Disney once said, "It all started with a mouse." But for me, it was a whip and a fedora.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...